The world’s biggest beer company: Anheuscher-Busch (AB InBev)

Most of you probably never heard of it, but I bet that most of you have tried one of this company’s beers in your lifetime. Anheuser-Busch InBev (more known as AB InBev) is a multinational belgo-brazilian beer company (not Belgian brewery) which makes a 25% of all the beers in the world. It´s not really a brewery on its own, but a multinational company that buys breweries all over the world.

AB InBev comes at the same time from the merge of several other companies during the years, becoming a super company that works in over 30 countries and employs more than 120.000 workers. In 2015 they bought it’s biggest rival, SAB Miller and became the biggest and with the most breweries under its shadow.

They own many breweries along the world, being some of the most famous worlwide::

  • Budweiser
  • Corona
  • Beck’s
  • Stella Artois
  • Bud Light
  • Leffe
  • Quilmes
  • Modelo
  • Pacifico
  • Pilsner Urquell (was from SAB Miller)
  • Grolsch (was from SAB Miller)
  • Peroni (was from SAB Miller)
  • Tyskie (was from SAB Miller)
  • Brahma
  • Franziskaner
  • Goose Island
  • Meantime Brewing (was from SAB Miller)
  • Camden Town Brewery
  • Fosters
  • Hoegaarden

I’d venture to say that almost a 95% of their beers are comercial lagers that you can find in any supermarket. Due to the increase of craft breweries, and these being a potential competitor (in terms of educating people about proper beer, not about sales) AB InBev started in 2011 to buy smaller craft beer breweries -or at least, trying, because now they only have 10 small craft breweries.

With the acquisition of SAB Miller, who was the one that controlled the South African hops market, this went to the hands of AB InBev. And they decided to restrict the production of these hops to 5% being sold outside of the company to craft breweries, and leaving the 95% for the production for the breweries that they control.

The last drop to fill the glass came a couple of months ago when they bought a stake of the popular beer review website, Ratebeer. In answer to that, some smaller breweries asked to take down their products from the website as they didn’t want to have anything to do with AB InBev.

At the end of the day, if you don’t know about beer and you go to buy yours to the supermarket, probably your money is going to end in the pockets of the big multinational company whose last priority is the quality of your drink.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s